When you are new to meditation your practice is like a seedling that needs regular water and sunlight.
Just as we protect ourselves from the sun in summer, so too should we understand that to get real and ongoing benefit from meditation we must practice regularly.
Ian and I have been meditating for many years and to new students of meditation we recommend the following:
- Have a daily practice
- Set a timer and stay to the end
- Meditate in the same place in the house, if possible
- Don’t judge your meditation. Remember to give yourself a pat on the back for keeping up your practice
- Try not to have expectations. A good saying is to “Accept, not expect”
- Meditate with others, if possible
- Read about the benefits of meditation so you can stay inspired when the going gets tough.
Will you make time to practice today?